Indian Gaming Law
Indian Gaming Law
The attorneys of Montgomery & Interpreter, PLC, have extensive experience in Indian Gaming and gaming regulation. We represent Indian Tribes and Nations in the negotiations of tribal-state gaming compacts, provide legal advice to Tribal gaming boards, and serve as independent legal counsel to Tribal gaming regulatory authorities.
Our attorneys understand that Tribal gaming enterprises provide a critical source of revenue for Tribal governments. We also recognize that the integrity of gaming and its continued success in Indian Country is predicated on maintaining a balance between the business needs of the gaming enterprise and the capacity of Tribal regulators to protect Tribal assets and ensure compliance with the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA) and the terms of tribal-state gaming compacts.
We are committed to providing superior legal advice in the field of Indian Gaming that is mindful to the need for preserving this balance and ensuring the long-term viability of Indian Gaming for the future.
Our attorneys are available to provide legal services to Tribal gaming enterprises and regulatory authorities in the following areas:
- Tribal-state gaming compacts, amendments, and appendices
- Tribal gaming ordinances and codes, revenue sharing allocation plans, and gaming regulations
- Compliance with the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA), National Indian Gaming Commission (NIGC) regulations, compact requirements and applicable laws
- Casino Management contracts
- Licensing hearings, regulatory decisions and appellate practice for Tribal gaming regulatory authorities
- Legal opinions
- Organizational structures for Tribal gaming enterprises and Tribal gaming regulatory authorities
- Compact disputes and arbitration proceedings
- Comments to proposed NIGC regulations
- Active member of the Attorney Working Group that negotiated with the State of Arizona, and subsequently drafted the initiative to obtain voter approval of the 2002 Standard Form Gaming Compact between the State of Arizona and Arizona Tribes. Throughout the negotiation and drafting process, we fought to protect our Tribal clients’ sovereign interests while ensuring that the benefits of Indian gaming will continue to be realized by the Tribes throughout Arizona.
- Successfully defended a Tribal gaming regulatory authority against an action to enjoin authority’s exercise of jurisdiction to suspend the Tribal gaming license of a Primary Management Official who had failed to protect the assets of an Indian Nation and its Tribal Gaming Enterprise.
- Successfully defended appellate challenge to the constitutionality of certain key provisions of an Indian Nation’s Tribal Gaming Ordinance and standard form gaming compact, and related decision of Tribal gaming regulatory authority to revoke a Tribal gaming license.
- Negotiated with representatives of the Arizona Department of Gaming to favorably resolve questions of compact interpretation that would have precluded scheduled and advertised promotional events at Indian Nation’s Gaming Facility.